As the weather gets warmer, it’s so nice to have a cold, slushy drink to sip on every now and then. This Vanilla Frappe just really fits the bill! Made from natural ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, it also whips up quickly when you feel the need for an afternoon treat 🙂
This drink is so easy to make that your kids can even make it by themselves! And by not stopping at the local coffee shop for a frozen drink, you can also save a bunch of money during the hot summer days. (Besides, they don’t put a pretty cherry on top!) 😉
How to Make a DIY Vanilla Frappe
To begin, you’ll want to prep some milk ice cubes a few hours in advance (or overnight). To do this, just fill an ice cube tray with milk and place into the freezer.
If you don’t have time to make milk cubes, you can also use regular ice cubes for a slightly less creamy result. Two scoops of ice cream or frozen yogurt can also be substituted for a more indulgent drink 😉
When your milk cubes are ready, place them into a high-powered smoothie blender.
Add some vanilla extract to the cubes.
Then pour about 1/2 cup of milk and the sweetener of your choice over the mixture. We use stevia or Trim Healthy Mama’s Gentle Sweet at our house, but regular sugar works just fine too.
Puree the mixture in your blender until all the cubes are broken down and the mixture is smooth. It should resemble a thick milkshake 🙂
If you don’t have a high-powered smoothie blender, you can make this in a regular blender, adding extra milk if needed to get the blades to turn. The end result may be a little less thick, but still tasty.
- 2 1/2 cups milk approximately
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons sugar or maple syrup to taste (can use a sugar substitute like stevia)
- 2 maraschino cherries for garnish
- 2 hours (or the night) before you want to enjoy your frappe, fill a ice cube tray with milk and freeze.
- Place the milk cubes, 1/2 cup of milk, vanilla extract and sugar in a high-powered smoothie blender.
- Puree until all cubes are broken down into a smooth milkshake-like consistency.
- Pour into your serving glass and garnish as desired. Enjoy immediately.
- ***If you don’t have time to prepare milk cubes, use regular ice cubes for a slightly less creamy result. 2 scoops of ice cream or frozen yogurt also work great for a more indulgent treat.
The best part about this Vanilla Frappe is the maraschino cherry that tops it off! The kids are especially fond of that 🙂
Hope you enjoy making this Vanilla Frappe!