Independence Day is one of the best days of the summer…warm weather, parades, fireworks and delicious food to celebrate our country…it’s so much fun! This recipe for Stars and Stripes Popcorn fits right in with that theme…a red, white and blue popcorn treat that is super easy to make, and sweet to eat, you’ll want to make this with your kids every summer.
There’s almost no cooking involved…except for a few minutes of melting marshmallow-y goodness on the stove…so your kids can get involved and help make this dessert for their whole family.
Hopefully this will become a yearly family tradition that will bring you a lot of special memories together 🙂
Related posts: Patriotic Fortune Cookies
How to make Stars and Stripes Popcorn
The ingredients for this patriotic popcorn can be found in most any grocery store: popcorn, butter, marshmallows, red and blue food coloring, almond bark (or white chocolate), red/white/blue sprinkles and red/blue chocolate candies (like M&Ms).
If you can’t find almond bark at your store, it’s available on Amazon (affiliate link).
Begin by melting the marshmallows with the butter. You’ll want to use approximately 1 tablespoon of butter for each cup of marshmallows. The amount of marshmallows/butter needed depends on how much popcorn you’re making.
A good rule of thumb is to use about 1 cup of marshmallows for every 3 cups of popcorn, but you can use as much or as little as you like.
Stir the marshmallows and butter over low or medium low heat until they are melted and smooth. Make sure you keep an eye on the mixture so that it doesn’t scorch.
When the marshmallow mixture is ready, pour it over your popcorn and stir the two together.
After the popcorn and marshmallows are well-mixed, pour it out onto a cookie sheet that is lined with wax or parchment paper.
While the popcorn mixture is still wet, pour the sprinkles and candies over the popcorn.
Meanwhile, melt some almond bark over low heat. Pour the melted bark into 2 separate bowls, adding red and blue food coloring to make red and blue bark.
Drizzle the red and blue melted almond bark over the top of the popcorn, making stripes.
When the popcorn is dry, it’s ready to eat!
Stars and Stripes Popcorn
- Almond Bark or White Chocolate
- Red & Blue Food Coloring
- Red and blue chocolate candies
- Melt the marshmallows and butter together. Add 1 tbsp of butter for each 1 cup of marshmallows you use. (this will vary depending on how much popcorn you make)
- Once your marshmallow and butter mixture has melted, pour it over your popcorn and stir until popcorn is evenly coated.
- Lay the popcorn out on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.
- Add sprinkles while the popcorn is still wet. Mix the candy and sprinkles into the popcorn.
- Melt the almond bark or white chocolate on the stove on low heat.
- Separate the almond bark or white chocolate into two bowls. Using food coloring, dye one bowl red and one bowl blue. If the almond bark or white chocolate seizes up, add a tablespoon of vegetable shortening to thin it down.
- Drizzle the melted almond bark or white chocolate across your popcorn and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy making this fun Stars and Strips popcorn this Independence Day!
Can I ask you a favor?
If you love this content, will you consider sharing it with your friends? All you have to do is click the button to your favorite social media platform! Thank you so much for helping me to reach others with this message!