Some weeknights can be so hectic around my house, with piano lessons, sports and cub scout meetings to get to before or after dinner. On these busy nights, it’s nice to have something hot and ready-to-eat in my crock pot. This slow-cooker vegetable soup is one of those easy, go-to recipes that is perfect for times when we have to eat a quick dinner.
This recipe serves 12, which is great for us, since we like to have lots of leftovers for lunches later in the week. It also freezes well, so you can put half of this soup in your freezer for another night’s dinner, or gift it to a neighbor or friend who might be sick or has a new baby and isn’t able to do a lot of cooking.
The best thing about this recipe is that there is very little prep work involved, and yet it is frugal and healthy! Just let it simmer all afternoon, and serve with sliced bread and a salad.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
- 2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen Lima beans or 1 15-ounce can Lima beans, drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen mixed vegetables or 2 15-ounce cans mixed vegetables, drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn off the cob or 1 15-ounce can corn, drained
- 2 cups carrots sliced or 1 (15-ounce) can carrots, drained
- 4 pounds of peeled and diced whole tomatoes or 4 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomatoes and okra (optional)
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook meat and onions together until golden brown.
- Add to slow cooker along with all other ingredients.
- Cook on low for 4 hours
- You could also cook this on the stovetop; just simmer for about 45 minutes.
How to Make the Slow-Cooker Vegetable Soup
Gather together the ingredients: onion, carrots, frozen or canned corn, lima beans, and mixed vegetables, diced tomatoes and ground beef or turkey.
Before adding it to the slow-cooker, brown the meat and onion in a bit of olive oil on the stove top. When finished, add the meat, along with the remaining ingredients to the slow-cooker and simmer on low for 4 hours.
Be sure to season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. You can also use Italian seasoning if your family enjoys herbs.
This slow-cooker vegetable soup is nice and hearty, good for warming up after a cold day. Serve with sliced bread or saltine crackers and/or a salad on the side.
If you’ve started late in the day, or just don’t feel like using your slow-cooker, you can also make this soup right on top of your stove. Follow the steps above, browning the meat in a big soup pot, then add the vegetables and other ingredients to the meat, simmering the soup for about 45 minutes.
I hope your family enjoys this soup as much as mine does 🙂
Feed your family with these Easy Dinner Recipes for Families!