It seems like I’ve been in an exercise rut lately. My routine has been Body Pump, Running and Abs classes for the past 5 months and I’m getting a little bored. Sometimes that happens, and it’s ok, but for me, it’s important that I don’t become too bored, or I stop exercising all together.
That made me start thinking about all the workouts I’ve done over the years, and which ones were my most favorite. In other words, which exercise routines made me look forward to working out everyday? Here’s my top 5 for you:
5. Running–I don’t necessarily LOVE running, but I do love what it does for my body. I think running has helped me tone my body and lose fat faster than any other aerobic exercise. It has also helped me lower my blood pressure and cholesterol levels over the past year. Plus, the sense of accomplishment that I get after beating my last training time or running a longer distance that I ever have before is the greatest!
4. Exercise videos–This used to be the only method I used to work out, and I absolutely loved it! While my baby napped, I could pop a video in the DVD player and exercise right in my own living room….I didn’t have to get dressed up in my pretty gym clothes or drive anywhere with my kids in tow. They are inexpensive, don’t use a lot of equipment and are available any time of day! My favorites are the older The Firm series and anything by Denise Austin (I just love her positive encouragement!)
3. Zumba–Have you tried a Zumba class yet? They are sooo much fun! I did this once a week all last year, after a couple of my friends talked me into trying it. I couldn’t understand how they could get out there in front of complete strangers and shake their hips and everything and not be embarrassed!
After just one class, I was hooked…you don’t feel like you are exercising, just dancing to fun music. And you don’t have to be worried about what you look like! Everyone is out there working just like you and they aren’t paying attention to the fact that you may not be able to samba (like me) or do every move perfectly.
2. Body Pump–Of course! If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that this is almost an obsession. Lol! What’s not to like? Fun music, inspiring instructors, challenging choreography, and a full-body workout in one hour.
1. Chasing after my babies! They have a lot more energy than I do nowadays, but chasing after them and taking care of them is my greatest joy! Everything that I do is ultimately for them, and I just feel so blessed to have two such wonderful people in my life. I just need to make sure I take care of myself and stay healthy so that I’m around for them a very long time!
What are your favorite ways to exercise?