After all the preparation we put into Christmas each year, it’s so nice to have an easy breakfast recipe to make for the family on Christmas morning. This Gingerbread Muffin recipe is super easy to throw together, allowing you to bake a nice hot breakfast for your family that has all the holiday flavor that everyone loves. Read on to see how easy these Gingerbread Muffins really are!
To make your gingerbread muffins, you’ll need the standard muffin ingredients–flour, baking powder, salt, butter, eggs and milk–and some extras to make them gingerbread-y: cinnamon, ginger, honey, brown sugar, applesauce, and molasses.
You can also use some coarse sugar on the tops of the muffins to give them a nice sweet, crunchy top, but that is optional.
Mix the wet and dry ingredients separately, then combine as you would any regular muffin recipe.
Divide the batter between 12 paper-lined muffin cups (I like to use my disher -affiliate link- to make sure the muffins are the same size), the sprinkle the coarse sugar over top. I didn’t really measure the coarse sugar, but I’d estimate that I used about 1/2 teaspoon per muffin.
These gingerbread muffins bake in less than 30 minutes, giving you enough time to get all the Christmas presents opened before it’s time to eat 🙂
The gingerbread flavor is just so nice, especially with a cup of coffee or tea on a chilly winter morning. I also like to make these muffins to take to holiday parties or to book club…they always go over well 🙂
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter- softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup coarse bakery sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12 count muffin pan with paper muffin cups and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl on low speed, mix together the softened butter, honey, brown sugar, applesauce and molasses. Add the egg and mix well to incorporate.
- Add half of the dry ingredient mixture and half of the milk and stir well to combine. Add the remaining flour mixture and milk and stir until the muffin batter is completely wet.
- Fill the lined cups 3/4 of the way with the muffin batter and generously sprinkle the coarse sugar on top of each one.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
I hope you’ll try making these yummy Gingerbread muffins for your family and friends!