Football is a big deal in our house. My husband is a die hard Steelers fan (which is hard when you live in Ravens country!), but he also enjoys college games as well. Needless to say, from September to February, there is a football game on at our house almost every night.
On the weekends, we sometimes like to make what we call football snacks, which is basically a snacky dinner that we can eat while watching our team play. Sometimes it’s as simple as chips and dip; other times, I make fancier foods like loaded nachos or chicken wings.
Recently, however, I found a recipe for Football Sandwiches that are to die for! Basically ham and cheese sandwiches baked with a savory sauce on top, they are super easy to make and taste delicious.
I first made these for a church potluck, where they were all gobbled up in no time. My husband likes them so much that he has requested them 3 or 4 times since the church event, and I’m always happy to oblige!
The recipe makes about 15 sandwiches, so it is perfect to make for your Super Bowl party or any gathering, really. They are great straight out of the oven, but I prefer to eat them the next day, heated in the microwave…the rolls become super soft, rather than toasted, as they do in the oven 🙂
To begin, slice 12 to 15 store-bought or homemade rolls in half and lay in a 9-inch by 13-inch dish, which has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Take the tops of the rolls off and slather each side with plain yellow mustard. Layer in one slice of deli ham and one slice of swiss cheese, then replace the tops of the rolls.
For the sauce, simply add minced onion, Worchestershire sauce and garlic powder to melted butter, then pour evenly over sandwiches. Pop them into a warm oven for about 20 minutes and you’ll have a very tasty football snack on your hands!
Football Snacks: Football Sandwiches
- 12-15 dinner rolls store-bought or homemade
- yellow mustard
- 12-15 slices deli ham
- 12-15 pieces of thin-sliced swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 T. minced onion
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 t. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice rolls and lay the bottom halves in a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish, which has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slather each side of the rolls with the mustard, them layer a piece of ham and cheese on each bottom half. Cover with the tops.
- Microwave butter and onion together in a microwave-safe bowl for 1-2 minutes, then add Worchestershire sauce and garlic powder; mix to combine. Pour or spoon the sauce over the tops of the sandwiches.
- Cover the sandwiches with foil and let them sit for 10 minutes or so, then put them into the oven for 20-25 minutes. Take off the foil for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- *Recipe adapted from Cook's Country
The original recipe from Cook’s Country magazine calls for poppy seeds in the sauce, but since I did not have them on hand, I left them out. They are plenty good without them 🙂
Hope these yummies make your football watching even more enjoyable!