Guest Post by Kendra Thornton
You don’t have to travel south to sink your teeth into a luscious piece of Key Lime pie. Considered the official pie of the Florida Keys, this is one dessert with a true tropical flair. This simple recipe uses store bought lime juice, but you can get fancy and squeeze your own if you prefer!
DIY Key Lime Pie: Treat from the Islands
- 1 pre-packaged graham cracker pie shell
- or 1 box graham crackers plain or honey
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/3 cup white sugar or packed light brown sugar
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks whisked
- lime juice approximately 2/3 cup juice or if freshly squeezed, use one pound of limes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While waiting for oven to preheat, crush one package (8 crackers) of graham crackers in a medium sized bowl. Add sugar and stir until well blended. Add melted butter and use a fork to toss ingredients until all crumbs are moist. If your mixture is too crumbly, add one more tablespoon of butter to moisten. Press graham mixture into a 9 inch pie plate. Bake crust for 10 minutes and remove immediately to cool on the counter. Turn oven down to 325 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, pour in sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and whisked yolks. Using a hand mixer on low speed, mix until well blended. If mixture isn't tart enough, add a bit more, until desired tartness is achieved. Pour filling mixture into cooled pie crust and bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool for 15-20 minutes and then transfer to refrigerator until time to serve. Pie is ready to serve when filling is well set. For best results, allow pie to cool for at least 2 hours. Do not freeze.
- Serve cold and garnish with whipped cream, zest of lime or crushed graham crackers. This recipe can be made more or less sweet by choice of ingredients. Use honey graham and packed light brown sugar for a sweeter version. Choose the plain graham crackers and white sugar if you prefer a less sweetened version.
I had the pleasure of eating this delectable treat at the Plantation House, which is located in the Kapalua Resort, ranked amongst some of the top hotels in Maui. However, the best part is you don’t have to travel to get your hands on this tasty treat. Make it in our own home – my family loves it! Enjoy!
Kendra Thornton is a Travel advocate, TV spokesperson, PR businesswoman, proud wife and mama of 3. She is a long-time travel expert who has been packing her bags and traveling the world since she was 3 months old! She has found that her utmost desire in life is right in her own home. She has mixed her excitement for travel by bringing the taste of authentic cuisine to her own home with some of her unique recipes. You can find Kendra on Twitter (@KendraThornton) or on her website.